
I have a cousin, Dan, who seems to be everywhere and doing everything. His latest project was helping his son, Luke, with his Eagle project. Now Eagle projects should involve the scouts in your ward. However, it is hard to involve other scouts when a camp has been planned on the same weekend as your planned Eagle project. Hence, the frantic call of help from dad to everyone he knew, including family!
Luke's project was part of a bigger service project. For the past few years, the daughter of a lady in Luke's ward has raised money to buy bikes for children who have never had one. She raises money to buy bike helmets and bikes for 1,000 children. These children are pre-screened through their school principals and teachers. All the children are in 2nd grade and have parents who cannot afford to buy them their own bicycle.
Luke's part of this was to oversee the building of the bikes.

Luke is showing Brian how the seat and reflector should go together.

Bri was a natural. Of course, it didn't hurt he has built a few bikes during his lifetime. One older volunteer next to us quipped, "I'm not used to building bikes in the daylight."

Many volunteers showed up to help build the bikes. It was estimated we put together over 350 bicycles. The remaining bikes went home in the box, for the lucky mom or dad to build. Fortunately, the bike came with a lot already assembled. We had to attach the front wheel, handlebars, seat, front reflector, back reflector, and pedals. Brian and I put together probably around 30 bikes.
This is what the finished bikes looks like:


All ages participated. I just had to take this picture. This young man was very intent on making sure the bike was put together perfectly.

So the children first met to get instructions and a backpack (probably with some coupons, etc.). Then, it was off to get their helmets. There were volunteers fitting each one. The children each had a choice of color: red, blue, or green. Then, they had to wait patiently while the previous group was still on the bike course.

Once they got on their bikes, they had a course set up to teach them about the proper hand signals for turning left or right, and reminding them to obey the traffic signs.


Probably about 85-90% of the children didn't know how to balance and ride a 2-wheeled bike. The volunteers stayed with them during the course, to make sure no one got hurt.

This was a terrific way to spend our Saturday. The best part was seeing the children so excited. Their smiles were so big. They were jumping up and down, squeeling with delight.
We are so blessed. I forget that sometimes. It's good to be reminded how fortunate I am.
Thankfully the weather cooperated and it was a good day for everyone: volunteers, parents, and children who are now bike owners.
1 comment:
Way to do some service! And even better...way to blog about it. I'm glad I can see a glimpse into your life. :)
Post a Comment